Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Choosing Joy

I must need to learn a lesson.

Lately I’ve been faced so much with opportunities in which I need to choose joy. I’ve always been someone who others have thought of as cheerful and optimistic. I’ve always THOUGHT I was optimistic. But this past week, on multiple occasions, my mom and I have had conversations during which she’s reminded me to just choose to be joyful.

In general, and for those of you who really know me, we’d probably all agree that I AM joyful! However, I’ve been overwhelmed lately with the tendency we all have to get frustrated and down on ourselves. But during it all, life will be SO much better if we make the conscious effort to live joyfully. In my field, I deal with SO many people on a daily basis- a number of which are angry or frustrated (who wouldn’t be when it comes to their money?). It is so easy to take things personally and get upset. But through it all, I should CHOOSE joy. In a perfect world, once my son is born, I would love to be able to spend much more time at home with him. But we have a mortgage payment, and our world is not perfect, so I will be spending just as much time at work… and I can guarantee you, my work and home life will be much more pleasant if I choose to live joyfully!

I’m so thankful for having people in my life (cough, Momma, cough) that will remind me to live joyfully. Not in a condescending way, but in a way that highlights how miserable life would be without joy.
Mark my words- because I’m posting this on the internet, I will be faced with many more situations in the next week where I can choose to handle them joyfully or let my frustrations overcome me!

Zephaniah 3:17- The Lord your God is in your midst,
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing.


On a lighter note… I’m just going to post the cutest baby shirt I found on Etsy (pattiecakedesigns):



(Except OBVIOUSLY it will say, "Keeganasaurus," because he will be the cutest little dino on the block! :)

To end, let me just say, I'm watching the new American Idol. I am surprised that I like the new judges. All I have to say though, is that I'd really like to give Steven Tyler some adderall!!!

1 comment:

  1. So true, Mandy! Thanks for posting:) So often I need to remind myself that joy isn't an emotion and isn't dependent on circumstances! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete