Monday, January 6, 2014

Baby-fooding 2.0

I started Keegan on Gerber baby foods when he was four months. I was excited for the "first" so I pushed it a little early. His digestive system wasn't ready, and the poor boy was uncomfortable for weeks. Oops. I always vowed with my next baby that I would wait until 6 months to start it. Then when Bennett was born, I thought we may even wait til 7 months since he was so early.

However, he has proven to be a totally different baby than his big brother was. Keegan was little, never ate a ton, but was growing consistently. He had sinus and digestive issues since he was born.

Bennett on the other hand hasn't had one ear infection (KNOCKING ON WOOD SO HARD RIGHT NOW), and his acid reflux has seemed to improve. He was sleeping through the night by 8 weeks, and was consistently drinking his entire bottle every two hours.

A week and a half ago he suddenly started waking twice a night again, downing two bottles a night. Seriously?! He was drinking so much during the day, but would always top off around 5 oz. The boy was growing, and was just HUNGRY seeming despite all the bottles he was drinking. I had a gut feeling that he was ready.

And boy, was he...



This muffin could eat baby food all day long. In fact, he has. He has three "meals" a day in addition to the same amount of bottles. And guess who slept through the night again?!?!?

And guess who's on his second nap of this (marvelous) snow day?!?!? Growth spurt, anyone?!

I have a theory. I don't know how accurate it is, but I've got to wonder... I used store bought Gerber baby food with Keegan. Once his little body got used to it he adjusted pretty well, however, it took a while and put his little intestines through all sorts of chaos. Now I've been using a Baby Bullet and have made home made sweet potatoes, peas and bananas and the boy does great.

It's a little messy since I have the food so liquidy so it's not hard for him to eat, but what a different experience this time around with the transition to baby food. I so wish that I would have made Keegan's baby food from scratch the last time. I feel like such a hippie! Loves it. Or what is that new word all those hipster mom's are using?! "Crunchy"?! Ha!

And if I don't seem 'crunchy' enough with my homemade baby food, guess who's transitioned back over to cloth diapers?!?!?!? I AM SO HIPPIE... BUT I AM NOT!

If you know me in real life you know I'm the least hippie/crunchy momma around. I just do what works for us... and in our family, BUDGET works for us (cough*cough* DAVE RAMSEY*cough*cough)... so cloth diapers and homemade baby food is how we went... and they have so many other benefits that I only realized after the fact.

Okay, back to snow-day goodness. :) Stay warm and stay safe, friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment