Sunday, November 18, 2012

What I want you to know:

Let me just clarify that this blog post is not intended to be super morbid or to proclaim that I am an amazing fountain of wisdom... Haha! That being said...

I recently read an article in Parents magazine about the importance of not only having a will, but also getting your most important thoughts that you want to share with your children in print so that if (God-forbid) you should pass before you get to express these things to your children, they can always know what was near and dear to your heart.

So here's my attempt. Not just for Keegan Michael, but for any other children we may be blessed with in the future:

On Love-

You will most likely fall in love a few times. But don't settle. You really will find that person that you naturally "click" with. Everything shouldn't be an argument. You really can find someone that you love AND get along with. And hopefully you can make each other laugh. The most important thing on love I learned in a sermon at Highland Park Baptist Church when I was in 11th grade, which I circled and wrote in purple pen: LOVE IS A CHOICE. Pick someone that will also make that CHOICE to love you, even at your worst. And do the same for them. Don't over complicate marriage. It's not that complex: choose to love that person, and treat them how you want to be treated as a spouse.

On Money-

Money doesn't grow on trees. You have to work hard for it- and please don't take it for granted or feel entitled to THINGS. Don't spend money you don't have. Live within your means. Don't judge others who have more or less than you- you have no idea what their circumstances are- just live kindly, and be wise with your finances please.

On mistakes-

Everyone will always tell you that you have to learn from your own mistakes. That's true. But, I pray that for the big things you will be smart enough to learn from OTHER people's mistakes and do everything possible to not make their mistake too.

On religion-

I have prayed for your soul since before you were born. I pray that you completely understand the gift that Christ lavished on YOU by laying down His life. I pray that you choose to live in a manner worthy of that sacrifice, and that you show love and kindness to others as a result. I pray that you can trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding- because there is so much more hope in life when you can rest in the fact that if you acknowledge Him- HE will make your paths straight.

On relationships-

You will meet people that dislike you. But be kind anyway! Hopefully you can touch their hearts by your kindness. The hardest thing to do is to love people that have hurt you, and to pray for their hearts. I've found that's the only way to handle them, without losing your mind! :)

This is just my heart. I'm not asking for you to do everything I list, I just hope you consider it. I'm not some guru at life, nor do I proclaim to be, but I hope that my sweet children can reference my words years and years and years from now. But I hope even more that I can be your annoying mom who offers up her advice in a hard time, even though you'll roll your eyes at me most of the time!


No comments:

Post a Comment