Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Give a Gift of Love...!

Remember that song? I know my sister, Molly, will. "So we can give the gift of love, and the give goes on, the Father gave the Son, and the Gift goes on... the Son gave the Spirit..." Southfield Christian Christmas concerts, what, what?!

Well, first of all, I want to thank everyone for their concern, thoughts and prayers for my husband after last week's post . He's doing much better, but is definitely having to monitor what he eats closely. He's headed to the doctor on Friday- and until we hear differently, we're just assuming that it is diabetes and really watching his diet.

This blog is something on a totally different note, though. I posted a while back about my dear friend, Jacque, who has sacrificed a lot to go serve with the Peace Corp in Yampil, Ukraine. I had the opportunity to catch up with her last week for a long time- it was so wonderful! She is someone who I already view as super incredible. She's fun, smart and really inspiring. It's totally awesome because as soon as I think she can't get any better, each time I talk to her, it's obvious to me that she's becoming more and more selfless. 

When she first went to Ukraine to start teaching English, the first thing she was telling me was how hard it was because the textbooks provided by the Ukrainian government were really, really bad. She decided to put in a request for a grant through the Peace Corps to raise money for new text books. In the meantime, the Ukrainian government decided to ban the old books because of their poor quality- without replacing them. So now, poor Jacque is left trying to teach English in a foreign country (if you didn't know- which I didn't, they speak Russian there... TOTALLY different), without text books.

Essentially, the "grant" is that the Peace Corps gives permission to Jacque to list this monetary need on their website so people can make donations toward that project.

Would you please consider making even a small monetary donation? Whether it be $5.00, $10.00 or $15.00 even?

What's even better is that Jacque is not just asking for money. She's trying as best as she can to try and raise the funds herself while in Yampil. On December 16th she's organizing and hosting an American Christmas Camp where the Ukrainian kids can learn about how we celebrate Christmas in the good ol' US of A... Complete with a lesson on The Grinch!

Even if you're not able to assist financially, please start to pray that Jacque can raise enough money to supply all these students with textbooks.

Here is the link to the blog that Jacque has set up about this project so you can get to know the people that you'll be helping and praying for. If you'd be interested in making a donation, there's also a link on the right:

http://beapartner.wordpress.com/

Thank you, thank you for all of your help! :)

1 comment:

  1. Mandy THANK-YOU for your amazing support! What a wonderful post, I can't express how I much I appreciate you taking the time to share what I am doing here and our project through your blog. I certainly would not be becoming the person I am without you in my life, you bring so much joy and inspiration to me. It was a treat, as always, getting to catch up with you! Love you & THANK-YOU SO MUCH AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete